Shopping at the Periphery of the Store

Here’s my question. By shopping “on the periphery of the store,” do you mean we shouldn’t eat organic foods? What about V-8 juice? Yesterday I had corn and it tasted like chlorine. I had boiled it in tap water. Where do we draw the line?

In most grocery stores, the cans and boxes (processed food, which we want to avoid) are found by going up and down the aisles.

The vegetables, fruits, dairy and meats tend to be place at the periphery of the store, around the outside, so we have to pass by the processed food to get to the real, fresh, healthier, basic food.  Stores are strategically designed for us to go up and down the aisles, checking our coupons, and putting processed food in boxes and cans into our carts.

The point of “shopping around the periphery” is, buy real organic food wherever it is in the store (better yet, grow your own organically when you can, or shop local farmer’s markets or roadside stands).

Some of you may understand this little quip I once heard:  “We grow all of the food we can, then we eat what we can, and what we can’t we can.”  So bottom line, just do the best you can 🙂

V-8 juice is the juice of 8 vegetables, but it is processed without the fiber and nutrients found in the fiber. The vegetables would be more healthy eaten whole, or you can make your own juice in a powerful blender that keeps all the nutrients together.

Regarding your “chlorinated corn,” charcoal filters on your sink will filter out most of the chlorine (but unfortunately leave the fluoride). Ideally, use filtered water in your cooking and drinking.

6 Comments

• KathyHKidd
    June 15, 2010 - 9:24 am | Permalink

Thanks for the clarification. My husband and I have designated July as “periphery of the store month,” where we will try this strategy and see if we feel better. I’m glad to see your “periphery of the store” definition includes dairy. (I’m guessing we should save natural cheese to reintroduce after the month.) I’m still unclear on organic, PROCESSED foods, though. Do you eat processed foods (pasta — that sort of thing) from the organic section of the supermarket (after reading the labels and making sure there isn’t sugar or white flour or something else bad in it), or are foods from the organic section just as bad?

• June 15, 2010 - 12:56 pm | Permalink

Speaking of water, what is your opinion of alkaline water? Like Kangen water.

• June 16, 2010 - 5:46 am | Permalink

Excellent choice. We tend to eat too many acid foods, which, of course, will make the body acidic. Acid is a better environment for viruses, bacteria and cancer cells to thrive. Mildly alkaline water is healthy, and Kangen water may be one of the best choices available.

• Todd
    June 16, 2010 - 11:03 am | Permalink

Kathy, in my experience, this is a guideline rather than an absolute. I like to think of this in terms of something you don’t hear much anymore – cooking from scratch. And adding a pound of meat to Hamburger Helper does not qualify as scratch. The periphery of the store provides the base, but that doesn’t mean there’s nothing worthwhile in the aisles. Whole wheat pasta is a good example. When I’m in the aisles, I’m an avid reader (labels). It needs to be simple with ingredients that I recognize, without partially hydrogenated anything, soy oils, high fructose corn syrup, etc. And while organic is a good ideal, that doesn’t make it healthy automatically. There are plenty of boxes of processed foods that I wouldn’t buy, even though they slap the Organic label on the box. I prefer to get the raw materials and make my own from scratch whenever possible. That’s the only way I know what’s in it and how it was prepared. Just my $.02.

• Suz
    June 18, 2010 - 8:33 am | Permalink

I have an Aquasana filter for both my kitchen sink and shower. For the two it only cost under $200. These take 40-60% of the fluoride out and the chlorine and other menaces that shouldn’t be in our water. There are other filters that take out more fluoride but they are way more expensive.

A great book on fluoride is called The Fluoride Conspiracy. You can buy it on Amazon — probably cheap if you can find a used copy.

As far as shopping the periphery, that means, organic and grass fed produce, meats, chickens and eggs. I buy organic grains and stay away from anything white except cauliflower, white eggplant. For milk, I buy raw milk from a wonderful farmer.

For sweets (I don’t eat them often) but check out http://www.wellnessbakeries.com for their sinful and hugely healthful chocolate cake mix and make sure you buy the glaze as well.

• June 20, 2010 - 8:07 pm | Permalink

Suz, That’s great to find any filter that will take any fluoride out of the water for that price. Fluoride is very small, so passes through most filters.