I have just been treated with Amoxicillin, Flagy, and Prilosec for gastritis. At the same time I took (as directed) 2 iron pills a day. After suffering for 3 months I realized that the iron pills were continuing the gastritis and not allowing it to heal. I quit the iron pills and now need to quit the 2x Prilosec. How do I get off these meds and undo the damage from the high iron? I blame all these for weird, scary symptoms lately such as hair loss, skin peeling, purpura and assorted pains. Thank you for any suggestions.
Gastritis is inflammation of the stomach lining. This often relaxes the muscle sphincter between the stomach and the esophagus to cause reflux of stomach acid contents into the esophagus, which is painful and harmful. I presume the Amoxicillin and Flagyl were given for either stomach ulcers or suspicion of H. pylori in the stomach.
Iron is an irritant to the stomach lining, and will perpetuate gastritis as you have correctly guessed. For those who need iron, oral administration is the best way to do it. In your case, let’s get the stomach healed before you try it again.
Prilosec stops the production of acid in the stomach, which theoretically decreases that irritant. But it also will not let food (especially meat proteins) be properly digested. Meat proteins are also an irritant to the stomach lining. In fact, sometimes Prilosec is given when there is not enough acid to begin with, and taking it makes the problem worse.
Here are some tips soothe the stomach lining and facilitate healing:
- 1. drink lots of water, at least 6 to 10 cups per day
- 2. try aloe vera
- 3. coat the esophagus and stomach with a soothing oil. We use vitamin E oil in my practice, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon several times each day
- 4. try mastic gum
- 5. DGL (deglycyrrizinated licorice) wafers will coat the stomach lining and improve ulcer healing (you can get these at a health food store)
- 6. try to identify foods (sometimes excessive carbs or meats) that trigger the gastritis and avoid them
- 7. explore your emotional triggers and address them (what’s “eating” you?)
When you are able to let go of all the emotional and physical triggers, you will find that your body will partner with you in loving and repairing itself. Please let me know how you are doing with your healing.